Tuesday, September 24, 2019

ROGGA JOHANSSON - Entrance to the Otherwhere review



ROGGA JOHANSSON - Entrance to the Otherwhere 

Transcending Obscurity Records





Here on Rogga Johansson’s second solo release he seems to have changed gears a bit. Fans know of his many bands which totally follow the old school Swedish death metal theme. Then there's his more crust/hardcore influenced acts which you could say are experiments. Entrance to the Otherwhere shows him still waving the Swedish DM flag proudly but in a melodic sense.


Now a few things I need to admit. The first is that I'm a fan of a lot of Rogga Johansson’s bands. Seriously the guy is prolific and musically he's damm good. But I never heard his first solo album Garpedans from 2017. Secondly I've never been a huge fan of melodic death metal. Sure I've got some releases which some people call classics. I've also got some new stuff that's cool. But dammit I still don't understand why people go apeshit over IRON MAIDEN meets death metal. If that's bad well then I still don't get AT THE GATES. 


But as far as this release goes, OK it's infectious as fuck because I like the guy. But then you think "well this song sounds like (place band name here)" and so on. And I'm not holding it to just Swede Death because there's times when I'd hear PARADISE LOST or early AMORPHIS. But hey when you're a guy who can deliver some chunk and groove riffs as well as great vocals then you can't complain about that.
  

https://tometal.com/

https://roggadeathmetal.bandcamp.com/album/entrance-to-the-otherwhere-death-metal

https://www.facebook.com/roggaofficial

1 comment:

Brutal Sedition said...

The music doesn't really do much for me, but at least the cover art looks nice.