Monday, June 17, 2024

DEICIDE - Banished by Sin review


 

DEICIDE - Banished by Sin

Reigning Phoenix Music


Actually it took me a few listens to get into this latest one from long time death metal great DEICIDE. Sure I've been a fan since their debut but in all honesty consistency of greatness has never been with them in my not so humble opinion. I mean they'll put out a good run of releases and then you'll get something boring. Yeah I know that last statement could be considered blasphemy with other DEICIDE fans but hey at least I'm not a blind follower.


Prior to this latest album I still think 2018's Overtures of Blasphemy was a perfect example of a boring release. So what makes Banished by Sin better? I think the guitar work by guitarists Kevin Quirion and Taylor Nordberg (the new guy) are phenomenal. The soloing as well as riffs on here are more vicious then recent DEICIDE albums. I think long time drummer Steve Asheim is still one of the best skin pounders in USDM. But sound-wise on here he seems lower in the mix. Of course Glen Benton's barked vocals are really up front on here. And there are times when I feel the production is too much on that note. 


Be that as it may there's some killer songs on here like the rip roaring opener "From Unknown Heights You Shall Fall". Then again DEICIDE always opens their albums with a killer track. Other cool cuts on here are "Faithless", the early dropped teaser cut "Bury the Cross with Your Christ" and "Woke from God" is a reminder of past greatness. In fact there's plenty of past DEICIDE history reminders on Banished by Sin.

 

"Failures of Your Dying Lord" is one of my favorite cuts on this album. They have to play this live, but they won't. And another one "Banished by Sin" takes you back to the band's early days. All in all Banished by Sin is a comeback album, to me at least, for Glen and company. So keep this line-up and maybe better things will come about. Which means this is an OK DEICIDE album in my not so humble long time DEICIDE fan opinion. As far as the cover art controversy goes? I thought it was Glen. Nuff Said!


https://reigningphoenixmusic.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhpqJSJeKWs&t=1634s


No comments: