Friday, September 6, 2024

CARNOPHAGE - Matter of a Darker Nature review


 

CARNOPHAGE - Matter of a Darker Nature

Transcending Obscurity Records


Over the years I've kinda accepted the fact that I'm not a real tech death metal fan especially when the tag line is Brutal Tech Death or BROOTAL. Personally I like the repulsive style of BDM. Hey it makes me laugh. But when this came in the emails I recognized the band name because I have one of their CDs. 


Now if you're a fan of the whole brutal sounding tech death style and don't know about CARNOPHAGE well you're lacking something truly cool. I learned about em back in 2016 with their Monument full length which came out on Unique Leader Records. I was buying stuff from them at the time which was also cool. That was their second full length and I never got their debut. 


So here we have their third full length from this Turkish five piece act. They started out back in 2008 so yeah they take their time between releases. But hey give em props because they're playing this extreme style of metal in a country that has some religious things going on which might be difficult. 


Moving on from there CARNOPHAGE sound-wise still have one foot cemented in with classic BDM. Oral Akyol still does that patented bestial BDM vocal style. Guitarist Serhat Kaya who came in with their last album creates this heavy handed static style riffs. Of course Mert Kaya is still in charge of the guitar tech wizardry of accented riffs and schizo leads. 


Also cool is that the original rhythm section of bassist Bengi Oztürk and a human octopus of a drummer Onur Ozçelik keep that area of sound so insane. I mean from the opening cut "In My Bones" to the final song "From Possibility to Actuality" this duo kicks fuckin ass. It's one thing to get hit by one person with a bat. Imagine five people beating you down with bats. 


Which brings me to my final point and that's if you're really into the BROOTAL Tech Death stuff then CARNOPHAGE is the band you should be checking out as opposed to whatever the lame-stream is handing you. Now as I've said it's not my favorite thing. Actually I'm waiting for this label to put out the new PAGANIZER album. Be that as it may this new one by CARNOPHAGE fuckin rules.   


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://carnophage.bandcamp.com/album/matter-of-a-darker-nature


No comments: