Friday, September 20, 2024

LEGIONS OF DOOM - The Skull 3 review


LEGIONS OF DOOM - The Skull 3

Tee Pee Records


Well they could've called themselves Super Group of Doom because essentially that's what we have here. I mean check out this fuckin line-up. You've got Ron Holzner former bassist for TROUBLE and THE SKULL. Guitarist Lothar Keller also from THE SKULL plus guitarist Scott Little from LEADFOOT. Add to that you've got Henry Vasquez from SAINT VITUS on drums. But the crowning point is that you've got two vocalists sharing duties on different songs. There's Scott Reagers from SAINT VITUS and Karl Agell formerly of LEADFOOT and Blind era CORROSION OF CONFORMITY.


Yeah with a line-up like that it's like a Doom contact high. Now in all honesty I've never been a huge fan of super groups especially when it comes to Metal. Also months ago I got an email stating that this band was touring Europe under the guise of a tribute to Eric Wagner. OK fine ya need the money but you're still a tribute band playing TROUBLE / THE SKULL covers. That's not my thing I wouldn't go see em. To me the legacy of Eric Wagner ends with his last official work aka his solo album 2022's In the Lonely Light of Mourning.


So at first after giving this a few listens I thought it was decent but I had so many reservations being against it. Then twenty-four hours passed by and a couple of more listens went by. After that I think there is some greatness to this album and it was a surprise to me. As much as I like the tracks where Scott Reagers sings on. I actually like the songs with Karl Agell singing better. 


I mean Ron Holzner and Lothar Keller could've just continued THE SKULL with Karl Agell on vocals and it would be cool. The Scott Reagers songs on here are down-tuned to a SAINT VITUS level. Sure I like em but Scott go back to SAINT VITUS. Karl Agell rules on this one. A special note is that on this release the band included a Eric Wagner song from his first solo album in 2015. The song is called "Heaven". I don't care what you think but that's a fitting tribute to a great man. Great job guys this is great doom.


https://teepeerecords.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izlAVA9xtxw









No comments: