Friday, August 17, 2018

W.A.I.L. - Wisdom Through Agony into Illumination and Lunacy vol. II review



W.A.I.L. - Wisdom Through Agony into Illumination and Lunacy vol. II

Triumphant Transgressions




I've been listening to this off and on for weeks, yes weeks. Usually when I check out a release I type a few notes to use later. But after all of that time I've typed one word: Finland. Yes that's correct because there's so much going on here and yet it's simplify done well. W.A.I.L (which means Wisdom Through Agony into Illumination and Lunacy by the way) hail from Finland. They're a five piece act who create an atmosphere of torture and tranquility.


This is the second release by W.A.I.L. Their first one from 2009 was basically volume one. That had five songs but this has two very long pieces with a full length running time of close to an hour. Musically W.A.I.L. combines brutal blackened death doom with some what proggy ambiance. The songs do break into obvious sections to allow tempo changes to flow almost at an emotional upheaval. 


The highlights for me are their use of violin. The piano interludes. The vocals which most of the time are filthy And guttural but yet clear. The dozens of havoc wreaking riffs which will just crush your soul to bits. And of course the overall duality of the arrangements plus the production is spot on. The bottom line is that this has got to be the best doom release (OK yeah it's just August) of 2018. And yeah it's from Finland. 


https://wisdomthroughagonyintoilluminationandlunacy.bandcamp.com/


No comments: