Friday, March 19, 2021

MAUSOLEUM / ANATOMIA - Split review


 

MAUSOLEUM / ANATOMIA - Split 

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions


Like all cool split releases you pick it up for the one band you know and the second one is a present. As for the former, MAUSOLEUM from Pennsylvania are old favorites as far as death metal goes. I got into em back in 2011 with their second full length, Back from the Funeral. They were one of the cooler sounding acts who were part of that unearthing of the old school death metal style. 


Add to that, something really cool was Horror Pain Gore Death Productions releasing the Cadaveric Displays From The Funeral compilation in 2017. That one contained both of the band's full lengths, Cadaveric Displays of Ghoulish Ghastliness from 2003 and 2011's Back from the Funeral. And if that wasn't good enough there was also a few tracks from a couple of splits they did. It's an amazing compilation that I highly recommend, after you get this one of course. 


As far as this split goes you've got MAUSOLEUM starting things off with four new songs. All I can say is it's about damm time since the last thing they did was six years ago. Then again there's been some changes in their line-up. But even with that happening their sound and style hasn't changed. Musically think old INCANTATION plus some classic Midwest DM sound. Their songs on here are fuckin excellent so welcome back fiends.


Next up is ANATOMIA a two piece death doom act from Japan. This is my first time, I think, hearing this band. My initial thoughts after listening to their three songs on here is obviously I've missed out. ANATOMIA have been around since 2002 and have a huge discography. I'm talking full lengths, EPs and a ton of splits. I'm not exaggerating on the number of splits they have out. 


Musically ANATOMIA make COFFINS sound like hipsters and I like COFFINS but these guys are heavy handed filth when it comes to death doom. Their sound is primitive to the hilt of which I'm a fan of. I would not be surprised if they're sporting MORTICIAN tattoos. So as many times before I look at these splits as wrestling bouts. My decision is it's a fuckin tie because these two bands are a perfect pair for a split release. Although I think this year I'm going to spend some time checking out more from ANATOMIA.


http://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/split-album-2


No comments: