Saturday, September 17, 2022

DEEDS OF FLESH - Trading Pieces Reissue review


 

DEEDS OF FLESH - Trading Pieces Reissue

Horror Pain Gore Death


So my history with DEEDS OF FLESH started out late in their career. The first full length I got of their's was Portals to Canaan from 2013. I picked it up a year or two later at a local show where this guy I know had his distro set up in the club. I saw the band name, pulled it out to look and the guy says "Oh man that's a great CD. You need to get that." Oddly enough he said the same thing to me about the other four CDs I pulled out to look at. So he got me for $50 and I left the show sober.


But hey the guy was right because that was a damm good release of brutal tech death that wasn't ADD inducing headache stuff. Unfortunately a few years later their guitarist/vocalist Erik Lindmark passed away. But fortunately the band continued on and in 2020 came out with Nucleus. Once again another great album in that same modern brutal tech death vibe.


Unfortunately, which is the usual case for me, I never invested/investigated the band's back catalog which is extensive. DEEDS OF FLESH, who hail from California, originally started out in the mid-90's. Their debut release was an four song EP from 1995 titled Gradually Melted. So what we have here is the reissue of their debut full length from 1996.


Now if you're a modern day fan of the band, like me, then hearing this is gonna be slightly off. When DEEDS OF FLESH started out they were straight up brutal death metal. In fact there are probably a ton of BDM bands today who are influenced by DEEDS OF FLESH whether they admit it or not. They seeded the West Coast while their Midwest peers (you know who I'm talking about) did the rest.


Musically it's straight up brutal death metal with a surprisingly diverse riff package. Plus Erik Lindmark's varied vocal style of deep growls, high pitch screeching and bestial sounds emanating from hell. In the end this sounds fresh today, obviously because of copycats. I'll admit to liking their more modern tech death and still brutal style over this. But this just makes me smile in a sick way and that's a good thing.


https://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/trading-pieces-reissue


No comments: