Friday, September 16, 2022

SENTIENT HORROR - Rites of Gore review


 

SENTIENT HORROR - Rites of Gore

Redefining Darkness Records


I was gonna make some New Jersey jokes to start things off since this band is from the Garden state as I once was. But the music is too good to fuck around with. This is the third full length by this four piece death metal act. I got into em years ago with their debut full length Ungodly Forms from 2016. Their second one, Morbid Realms, from 2019 was damm good. But this new one I think is their best.


SENTIENT HORROR are full on 90's style old school death metal. And on Rites of Gore this band displays DM perfection. Musically there's a touch of early Swede DM with an aggressive Polish DM punch to the head. Yeah I know they're from Jersey and there's no NYDM influence. But hey that's the way us Jersey people are, fuck New York. 


Right from the opening you've got great riffs via HM2 Boss pedal and in that diabolical style. It's just fierce sounding. The vocals are the same way, fierce low end caustic. The guitar solos are dive bombing slices that could cut solid steel. And of course the rhythm section just bludgeons along to a sick grin delight. 


I don't care what year it is. This is the way death metal is supposed to be played. Ten cuts on this opus of hate and the final song is an ENTOMBED cover "Supposed to Rot". Yeah I think that's appropriate. By my third listen this album just shot to my favorite DM album of 2022. 


http://www.redefiningdarkness.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://sentienthorror.bandcamp.com/album/rites-of-gore



No comments: