Tuesday, August 19, 2008

HEAVEN SHALL BURN - Iconoclast (Part I: The Final Resistance) CD Review


HEAVEN SHALL BURN - Iconoclast (Part I: The Final Resistance) CD
Century Media Records

You know maybe it's me. Maybe I just want to go back in time and relive the late eighties and early nineties all over again. Maybe I have too much frost on the roof and it's slowly freezing my brain. Therefore I'm unable to catch onto this newer wave of "Deathcore" (it's not fuckin Death Metal people). Maybe I should just get two sixteen penny nails and shove them into my fuckin ear drums. You know when all the bands start sounding the same. The whole genre gets stagnate and boredom sets in. The hardcore fans start moving on or in this genre's case, growing up.

Of course all music genres suffer the same fate eventually, so I'm not singling out just "Deathcore" in general. Once the genre starts to grow then the imitators outnumber the originators. Then along comes individuals who want to branch out in order to create something new. Deathcore came about by infusing Death Metal with wannabe tough guy Hardcore. Maybe when it first rose it's ugly head the average listener could tell the difference between one band from another. But nowadays you have to be an expert and the average listener is left guessing. Yeah like, "Ah well it does sound familiar." Of course it all sounds familiar! It's the same recipe only the names and faces have changed.

What these Germans have done is simply water down the "core" part with more melodic overtones. Since this is their sixth release maybe they figured it was time to steer into a new direction. But there is no new ground being crossed here, as if this genre could do that. It's just the same tired theme which by 2008 has become aggressively lackluster. Someone needs to slap the kraut out5 of these guys.

www.www.centurymedia.com

No comments: