Tuesday, January 27, 2009

GRAVE DIGGER - Ballad of the Hangman CD review


GRAVE DIGGER - Ballad of the Hangman CD
Napalm Records

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with this band's previous work which goes back to the halycon days of 80s Metal. Plus I really couldn't get any info out of some friends who are fans of TRUE EIGHTIES OBSCURE METAL DUDE!. I mean REALLY liking TRUE EIGHTIES OBSCURE METAL DUDE! Although one friend described them as being like HELLOWEEN, a German band too, who I knew by one record and never cared for. So after some short research, which included checking out a new video from this release. Whoa someone call VH-1 we have a video for you to replace all that other crap you put on Metal Mania. So I come to find out that GRAVE DIGGER were this huge German Metal band back in the 80s. TRUE EIGHTIES OBSCURE METAL DUDE! Now looking back to those times the biggest band I liked from Germany was ACCEPT then later it was KREATOR, SODOM and the list goes on. I totally missed out on THE greatness of GRAVE DIGGER. Obviously while I was thumbing through the Import Vinyl rack at the headshop I missed something. Then again they did break up in 1987 only to reform in 1993. So now it's 2009 and I'm sure someone will believe I need redemption for not knowing all about GRAVE DIGGER. You know what I say, redemption is for losers.

Now I do like Ballad of the Hangman since it's TRUE EIGHTIES METAL DUDE! I'm sure it's labeled Power Metal nowadays but fuck all that shit. This thing is Heavy Fuckin Metal with a killer vocalist, Chris Boltendahl, whose voice has obviously seen better days or screams. But to me that's perfect since Dio can't hit the high notes like he used to either although he's still a great vocalist. Boltendahl reminds me of him in that he's an old dude who's unstoppable. Then again so am I. Boltendahl is also the last remaining original band member. That's persistence which I can also respect. Musically how could you not like this? It answers the question, what would they sound like if a cool Metal band from the 80s was transported in time from then to now. Good powerful riffs driving dual guitar stuff. First time the band has ever had two guitarists so yeah bang your fuckin head. Good songs, no they're great songs "Grave Of The Addicted", "Sorrow Of The Dead" and especially the title track. Big surprise here was the guest appearance of BENEDICTUM’s vocalist Veronica Freeman. The song she guests on, "Lonely The Innocence Dies", is a ballad but hey it's TRUE EIGHTIES METAL DUDE so get with the program. All in all this is one fantastic release. And as always great cover artwork to boot. Power/Heavy Metal bands always have cool covers to stare at while the music is blasting away in the background.

www.napalmrecords.com

No comments: