Friday, July 28, 2017

FATHER BEFOULED - Desolate Gods review



FATHER BEFOULED - Desolate Gods

Dark Descent Records






Well it's time again to pose the question What is Better, the new INCANTATION album or the latest release by a band who worships INCANTATION? I think I've been here before since I got into FATHER BEFOULED back in 2010 with their Morbid Destitution of Covenant LP. I still hold that release high as a perfect example of a new band who crave old school death metal (OSDM) and do it right. I've been a fan ever since. Now I've got their last one, Revulsion Of Seraphic Grace, from 2012 which is also damm good. I never got their debut, fuck me. 


But anyways it's been five fuckin years since these guys have put anything out anything substantial other than a compilation of rarities and a split with MACABRA. Now I don't have the new INCANTATION album yet but hey this fills that void and once again proves that it's not about imitation it's influences. On this, the band's fourth full length, once again it's the death doom sound of what you could call John McEntee’s prodigy. I don't see that as a bad thing as long as it's good. 


FATHER BEFOULED have not lost a step over the past five years in fact this new one is a notch up. The opening instrumental sounds like the entrance theme you'd hear while entering into a realm of chaos. Then the suffocating pummel of cavernous death doom plows forth which is pretty much what the band does throughout this release. I'm not going into each song so let me just say even with all the crush, kill, destroy type riffs there's plenty of razor like soloing and the vocals of a beast.


Hey look, it's INCANTATION worship OK. It should actually be considered a genre itself especially after the past decade.You're either into it or not. This band has been into it for a decade now. By the way I am an INCANTATION fan. I saw them in their heyday during the late nineties with a new band, at that time, called NILE. A year later NILE and their more technical style of brutality were all the rage with the fans and the metal media. INCANTATION and their style of death doom were kicked to the curb. But here we are almost twenty years later and it's INCANTATION who are worshiped and FATHER BEFOULED have most likely put out one of the best albums of the year. There you go.

http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/desolate-gods

https://www.facebook.com/FatherBefouled

No comments: