Wednesday, July 19, 2017

OBSOLENCE - Inner Voice review



OBSOLENCE - Inner Voice

Godz ov War Productions





OK so when I saw this band's genre tagline was Progressive Death Metal I got that feeling of dread. Trust me I get uneasy whenever I see the word progressive especially within the meme of politics because it's actually regressive. But we won't go there. Musically when I see progressive I think OK you've just moved right off the fuckin genre template. But hey this band is from Poland and right behind me I have a one shelf full of Polish death metal albeit it's mostly stuff by VADER but hey.


OBSOLENCE are a fairly new five piece act from Poland. Sound wise on this their debut full length, but looks more like an EP, expect more death doom than anything progressive. Twin guitarists provide both methodical paced riffs and melodic passages while vocalist Dawid "Wilku" StarÄ™ga switches from gruff grunts and screams to clean vocals. There are times when you feel spaced out, like on the guitar soloing of "Reborn". Then there's "Calcaneus" which reminds me of PARADISE LOST when they went all post punk goth.


I won't go onto every song, by the way there's five in all. I will say this. I tried listening to this in the morning and couldn't get into it. The next day it was mid-afternoon and still no dice. But now it's around 4 am, I got home from work an hour ago. I've got rice on the stove and chicken in the oven plus a few beers in me. So yeah this is definitely easy on the ears type of stuff. Not my type of stuff but still a full length in the future would be interesting. Their vocalist is damm good and the melodies produced by the guitarists are both harsh and airy. Well done.

http://godzovwar.com/

https://obsolence.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ObsolenceOfficial/

No comments: