Friday, March 9, 2018

HYPNOS - The GBG Sessions review



HYPNOS - The GBG Sessions 

The Sign Records



I've said it many times but it always bares repeating. When doing SFM666 I'm actually excited every time I discover or better yet exposed to something new and cool as far as extreme music goes or in this case old sounds revived. For a while now The Sign Records has put out some decent enough releases by bands who revive the sounds of 70's Hard Rock and 80's NWOBHM. Some I've liked and some not so much. Here's one that just blows me away.


HYPNOS are a Swedish five piece act who for a few years now have garnered a lot of respect in their nation as being a great band recreating the hard rock and NWOBHM sounds of the past. They've put out two full lengths so far. One of which, Cold Winds, from 2016 I checked out after listening to this one and I was in that holy shit mode. What we have here is sort of a compilation of old and new cuts. Chalk it up as a precursor for their new album coming out later this year.


As far as the music goes well most of the older cuts are from the band's 2014 full length debut. There's also one cut from Cold Winds, two new cuts destined for their next album and (gasp) a cover of ABBA's "Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimmie". Soundwise it's a mix of MAIDEN, RAINBOW, DIAMOND HEAD and dare I say DEEP PURPLE minus the keyboards. Just fuckin incredible.

http://thesignrecords.com/

https://thesignrecords.bandcamp.com/album/hypnos-gbg-sessions

https://www.facebook.com/hypnosboogie/ 


No comments: