Friday, July 20, 2018

LURK - Fringe review



LURK - Fringe  

Transcending Obscurity Records




The first time I listened to this was when I was getting ready for work. Ah no couldn't do that one. Music like this should not be coercing through one's mind when they're dealing with people. So when I got home later that evening I popped a beer, pushed play and settled in to the unsettling sounds from this release.


LURK hail from Finland, a nation that's certainly producing a lot of wild sounding extreme music this year. While I was listening to this my thoughts were of depicting myself lost in a hellish menagerie. During the opening cut I was wondering what if PROFANATICA were an atmospheric sludge metal act? Of course as the release continued on other doomish textures exposed themselves.


On this the band's third full length LURK have a few undeniable underlining influences that are blackened and deathly. But for the most part they're firmly planted in sludgey doom that's heavy handed as well as distorted. The vocals vary from harsh screams, cavernous growls as well as haunting vocals. Eight songs in 44 minutes which at times are horrific trance inducing.



https://tometal.com/

https://lurkdoom.bandcamp.com/album/fringe-atmospheric-sludge-doom-metal


No comments: