Thursday, July 19, 2018

MARDUK - Viktoria review



MARDUK - Viktoria

Century Media Records




When the label dropped the song "Werwolf" weeks ago I was like "Ah have they gone punk and what's with the kids singing the chorus?" To say I was surprised is an understatement. Of course when I finally picked up my copy of this, the surprise element was gone. It was replaced by complete dissatisfaction. 


I guess the obligatory personal history overview of this band and I needs to be written. Yes I am a long time MARDUK fan. I've stuck with em through each of their eras. I love their old straight up black metal material. The Panzer Division era was fantastic. And when Mortuus of FUNERAL MIST took over on vocals I thought they'd become a lot more interesting. I don't have favorites because I've liked all of it.


Now I'm not saying bias is in effect when listening the various MARDUK releases. They have some superb releases and plenty of decent ones. Viktoria definitely falls into that latter category. I'm also being nice about it since it took plenty of listens to win me over since there's a lot of problems with it.



Let's start with the obvious, it's a short release at a running time around thirty-three minutes. Of course their more recent albums have been much longer. So this is definitely a step back for them. The opening track / single "Werwolf" is a throwaway cut for me. It sticks out like a sore thumb and could've been part of an EP. MARDUK are very familiar with putting out EPs. Out of the nine songs on here most are of the fast mode ala Panzer Division Marduk style. There's plenty of recycling of riffs.




As far as the slower tracks that are supposed break from the monotony, they seem to be incomplete as if this recording was rushed. And that's the rub I get from this. It's as if hey they're on tour and need a full length out to sell along with all their other merch. Throw some suggestive cover art on the release as well to go with their latest jaunt with infamy from their naysayers. It all seems more of a corporate ploy than true black metal. 

http://www.centurymedia.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Mardukofficial


No comments: