Monday, December 28, 2020

ETERNAL CHAMPION - Ravening Iron review


 

ETERNAL CHAMPION - Ravening Iron

No Remorse Records


Here we have the second album by US traditional metal stalwarts ETERNAL CHAMPION. I gotta say that their debut, The Armor of Ire, from 2016 was a favorite of mine. Back then they were following in the footsteps of MANILLA ROAD and CIRITH UNGOL. Basically with this new one they're still on the same path. 


There's been a few decent US bands in the past two decades whom I like that have also walked this same influence road. So it's being familiar with the sound which gives ETERNAL CHAMPION a standing in my good graces. Plus there's some really cool songs with riffs that gallop along in the mighty MAIDEN way. I do like the monotone style vocals and the guitar solos on here are true metal amazing. The atmospheric parts I can handle to a point. 


I tried comparing this to their debut from a few years ago. Basically I see this as a cool follow-up which doesn't stray away from their original vision. It took me a few listens to fully appreciate Ravening Iron. In the end it's a reminder of why metal fans of yore who liked the mainstream releases at the time also became hounds in the scene's underground treasures.



https://www.noremorse.gr/

LISTEN HERE:

https://eternalchampion.bandcamp.com/album/ravening-iron




No comments: