Wednesday, December 30, 2020

UNDERGANG - Aldrig i livet review


 

UNDERGANG - Aldrig i livet

Dark Descent Records


Just some quick history for ya. UNDERGANG were part of the old school death metal revival from a decade ago. And as anyone who knows me well. I went apeshit over a ton of releases which came out back then. Seriously 2010 was a great year for death metal in my not so humble opinion. Basically the genre took a giant shit upon all the fuckin hiptard garbage which was being peddled in the mainstream metal media. 


UNDERGANG who are from Denmark put out their debut album, Indhentet af doden, in 2010. Unfortunately it didn't raise the hairs on people's necks enough to get some significant recognition at that time. And in all honestly I did not get into em until 2015 when they were on Dark Descent Records who put out their third full length Doden laeger alle sar. 


Now since then I have acquired their debut which to me is their best release of all time. Also as far as their other full lengths go I wasn't too thrilled with em as much after listening to their debut. But that was then because here's their fifth full length and it's damm good. UNDERGANG as I said are Danish but musically they remind me of some classic death metal sounds from Finland crossed with some early USDM. I'm refrain from name dropping. 


Aldrig i livet sounds like it was recorded in a mine shaft. Which is not a bad thing at all in fact it's typical sounding for them. The vocals are of the monstrous cave dweller type. Imagine the beast you least want to meet up with in the darkness. Sound wise it's this creepy trudging death doom sound which is pummeling. This release is just a little over thirty minutes in length. So the band doesn't waste precious time crush your skull. 


http://www.darkdescentrecords.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/aldrig-i-livet


No comments: