Wednesday, May 25, 2022

NEKKROMANIAC - Plague Eater review


 

NEKKROMANIAC - Plague Eater

Gates of Hell Records


So the skinny on this one from the new German four piece blackened thrash band is that they are inspired by classic extreme acts like BATHORY, MERCILESS and SODOM. OK that's fine but now let's take note. Inspiration is one thing, influence is another. So this act have relatively nothing in common musically with those above mentioned bands to a point. Trust me I learned that on my first listen. 


But don't let that deter you away from this band. This is their debut full length. Prior to this they've released a couple of short form releases since starting out in 2013. And personally I'm glad that they don't rehash the sounds of the above name dropped bands. Although I'll give em the MERCILESS touch and there's one cut, "“Bleed for the Master”, which does give some homage to BATHORY.


Basically NEKKROMANIAC are just good at what they do. Which is creating some old school blackened thrash that sounds actually threatening. Their songs are a mix of full on thrash assaults, some black n roll plus there's some mid-tempo melody. They're not trying to be like some band from 1989. Instead they're bringing back a past sound and adding their own personality to it. To me that's a cool thing especially since they're not generic sounding.


There's eight cuts on here, all great. There's some savage sounding guitar riffs throughout. Their vocalist has a crazy range as far as going from screams to gruff singing. And the rhythm section are some real savage sounding bastards. I've heard plenty of blackened thrash acts this year, go figure? As far as I'm concerned this one by NEKKROMANIAC is the absolute best. I mean when this release blasts away I wanna hurt people. Nuff said!


http://www.gatesofhellrecords.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://nekkromaniac.bandcamp.com/album/plague-eater-new-mastering


No comments: