Thursday, January 5, 2023

71TONMAN - Of End Times review


 

71TONMAN - Of End Times

Transcending Obscurity Records


The band's name pretty much tells you almost everything you would expect. What we have here is an exploration through the center of a black hole. Yeah this is heavy and dense atmospheric sludge metal. Trust me I'd love to have cranked this one on the outdoor back deck speakers on New Years Day morning say around 8 AM. My neighbors with hangovers would literally die of cranial trauma. Heads would explode! 


This is the third full length by Poland's 71TONMAN. I first learned about em back in 2021 with their War Is Peace /Peace Is Slavery EP. Now I've mentioned it a few times over the years that I'm personally sludged out when it comes to this genre. But every once in a great while a newer band will bring back my interest in the genre. 71TONMAN did that with their EP and now we have this new full length.


What you have here are four long drawn out cuts spanning just short of forty minutes in album length. As the title Of End Times indicates the four cuts are all about the end of it all literally. And in using sludge ridden doom to illustrate the point. The band manages to create suffocating and dismal interpretations of "Conquest", "Plague", "War " and "Famine". Those are the titles of the songs on here.


Please note that this band are not breaking new ground in this genre. But they are all about breaking things, mainly souls. The riffs just fuckin crush in a unforgiving torturous way. Misery hasn't  sounded this good in a while for me. The vocals still come off as if sung by a drunken bear. And I mean that in a good way. Finally I love how well the drum work is delivered on these cuts.


What a great way to start the new year with a not so fresh optimistic attitude.


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://71tonmanband.bandcamp.com/album/of-end-times-sludge-doom-metal


No comments: