Thursday, January 5, 2023

SATANIC WARMASTER - Aamongandr review


 

SATANIC WARMASTER - Aamongandr

Werewolf Records


So this one came out at the very end of December 2022, December 30th to be exact. I gave it one listen but was involved in everything else that came out previously in the year as an end with a listing of the top releases. Here I am a few days later blasting it and well I'm liking it enough to say it could've been one of the best black metal releases of last year. But then I am bias when it comes to SATANIC WARMASTER as well as Finnish black metal.


My respect of this band, well it's basically mainman Werwolf, goes back a while. I got into em back in 2001 via the Strength & Honour album. From that point onward I've picked up every full length plus a decent bunch of the short form releases (EPs and Splits). I don't have the full collection but I'm content with what I have so far. The last album by SATANIC WARMASTER, 2014's Fimbulwinter, was to me a step out of the typical necro Finnish BM style. I like that album a lot and expected more. 


Unfortunately time has dragged on. So here we are many years later and Werwolf returns as if he has something to prove. And on this his sixth full length, that's not to mention all of those short form releases, he's proved quite a few things. First and foremost he's not wimped out by watering down his sound in order to appease the naysayers. And if you're a fan then you know who I'm talking about. There will be no Sauna Metal for Werwolf. 


Aamongandr is a showcase of old school necro blackened Finnish metal filth plus a touch of symphonic elements. Werwolf has not all out embraced early EMPEROR but there is a more grandiose feel to certain cuts. The opener "Bafomet" is a reminder of the past. But what follows on tracks like "Duke's Ride" or "Beserk Death" shows some style changes which was evident on the previous release. 


It's not just the sound but the overall songwriting style which allows for more melody and atmospheric breaks to clash with the overall harshness which you expect from Werwolf. I like he uses the keyboards as a far in the background rhythm sound. A totally great late 90's technique which has been lost. Of course the riffs are ice covered tremolo picked magnificence. Yes they are amazing and the pace is brutal.


The best way I could end this description is that Werwolf is in a better mood. Aamongandr is a powerful release still beholden to the old school BM Finnish tropes but at times seeking outside influences which about really cool sounds. Now I have a new favorite SATANIC WARMASTER album.


https://www.werewolf.fi/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zViV_K8FhHU


No comments: