Monday, March 6, 2023

LURK - Aegis review


 

LURK - Aegis

Transcending Obscurity Records


I've been bored with sludge metal for over a decade now. Mainly it's been the stuff I hear/heard from where I live in the states. I mean seriously I walked out of an EYEHATEGOD show a few years ago in the middle of their set. It was just fucking boring. Also I've seen em a bunch of times before. Recently there's been a show featuring a local Southern sludge act who I've also seen before and I passed on it because I don't want to be bored.


Yes people I'm a proud American but our sludge scene, which we created, is boring. The whole Southern/NOLA is done with. Also the hippie, proggy sludge thing has been played out and isn't worth your time. In fact the last time I heard a cool sounding sludge band, they were from Europe. And here's another one. LURK is a four piece sludgey doom act from Finland. The first time I heard em was back in 2016 with their third full length Fringe. Here we are seven years later with their fourth one.


What makes LURK so fuckin great? Well first off they don't just pummel the listener with repetitive heavy handed riffs and a time signature split per song. LURK create a foreboding atmosphere similar to a black metal style sound. Then they toss in the sludge dirge or on other cuts bring in some death doom. Add to that are the horrific vocals whether it's some harsh screams or deep bear like singing. 


There's this non pigeon-hole perspective about their sound. It's like the soundtrack to the climatic chapter to a horror novel. LURK hold you in a cold handed grip. Sound-wise there's these great tones of despair mixed with painful ventures into punishment. Each of these seven cuts are like new wounds being opened and explored. Yes this is amazing.


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://lurkdoom.bandcamp.com/album/aegis-sludge-doom-metal


No comments: