Thursday, May 25, 2023

OVERKILL - Scorched review


 

OVERKILL - Scorched

Nuclear Blast


OK the art work on the cover is damm good but then aren't they always? Now with that said it's always tough for me to write about a legacy band I've been a fan of since their inception. Yeah I'm bias but honest. The early days of OVERKILL were amazing. The groove metal stuff sucked in my not so humble opinion. Then along came Ironbound in 2010 and everyone was floored by it. OVERKILL were a force in thrash to be re-conned with again.


So here we are thirteen years and a handful of albums later. I have to admit that my excitement is somewhat challenged with this new one. But hey I really liked 2019's The Wings of War full length. Ya wanna know the last time I listened to it? Two years ago I brushed the dust off of it. And I believe this one will gather some dust as well. 


I'll give OVERKILL some due, on here they're finally really breaking from the Ironbound era. The opening track show's some IRON MAIDEN influence in the beginning and in between. It ends up being a cool raise your fist in the air thrash track until they revert to their old groove elements. But hey the song ends well and there's an amazing guitar solo. 


As far as that goes for most of listening to this album I wanted to die. For every asshole out there who repeated the term Hard Thrash in accessing OVERKILL's modern era. Well you can go fuck yourselves. My favorite cuts on here are "Twist of the Wick" (another MAIDEN-esque influenced cut but I'm also thinking PRIEST's Painkiller). Add to that "Fever" is a mediocre groove laden rager that actually kicks some ass. "Harder They Fall" is the best thrash track on here with an amazing guitar solo to boot "Know Her Name" follows second as being a cool thrash track.

Like I said in the beginning, it has a nice cover. As far as that goes let the dust gather on this one. Again like I said earlier, I'm a fan but I'm honest.


https://www.nuclearblast.com/eu/

LISTEN HERE:

https://overkillmetal.bandcamp.com/album/scorched


No comments: