Monday, May 1, 2023

SAVIORSKIN - Invicta Mori / DoomFather review


 

SAVIORSKIN - Invicta Mori / DoomFather

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions


So this is my first time checking out this gothic death doom act who hail from Houston, Texas. Although I have heard some tracks by them on the Horror Pain Gore Death Productions' compilations. I never listened to any of their full lengths, this is their third, until now. But I'm very familiar with the style of metal they're producing.


Throughout this album you can hear influences from what is known as the Peaceville three aka: PARADISE LOST, MY DYING BRIDE and ANATHEMA. Add to that there's a touch of early 1990's industrial metal or mechanized tempos. It's as if Justin Broadrick (JESU, GODFLESH) came in to toss in some ideas. There is a guest on this release but I'll get to that later.


To me this is late night music in right now as I'm writing this review. The vocals are a mix of wounded growls and melancholy clean singing. Musically the band's sound is one foot in death doom and the other in some epic gothic metal style. The early part of the album shows off more of the experimentation. Like on opener "Iconoclast" you've got everything previously mentioned plus a cool guitar solo which breaks out of the darkness. 


Mid-way through the album the band breaks from the harsh reality to add some melodic touches. What continues onward is once again on par with the band formula. The special guest on here is MORGOTH's vocalist Marc Grewe who contributes on the album's last track, "Sycophant." The album is nine songs worth of miserable joy. By the way the CD version contains the band's four-song DoomFather EP as an extra.


In the end I'm PARADISE LOST fan therefore any band that takes them as an influence and injects some personal touches, I'll also like. This third album by SAVIORSKIN is damm good. I'm sure people into this style of metal will go ape-shit over it. Oddly enough Horror Pain Gore Death Productions is known for putting out releases by bands who's sounds are what I'd call beating people up music. And I like that a lot about em. So this release is like OK I beat the shit out of someone last night but I have a sensitive side. 


https://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/invicta-mori-doomfather


No comments: