Thursday, September 26, 2024

NILE - The Underworld Awaits Us All review


 

NILE - The Underworld Awaits Us All

Napalm Records


Obviously I don't mind repeating myself in reviews so there's no exception here. Yeah I'm a NILE fan so bias alert. I saw NILE on their first tour with INCANTATION at a small club I worked at years ago. That was in 1998 I believe so ever since then I've been a fan. Now even though I've got all of their full lengths as well as other short form releases. I have not been into everything they've put out. 


Honestly Those Whom the Gods Detest, which came out in 2009, is their last one which I think kicks fuckin ass. Since then they've come out with three decent full lengths. But this new one surpasses them by a mile. Then again the band has changed a bit in talent. You've still got mainman Karl Sanders on vocals, guitars, bass and keyboards. Then there's the human octopus on drums George Kollias. Plus you've got Brian Kingsland on guitars and vocals who joined in 2017. Now add to that you've got new guys Dan Vadim Von on bass and adding vocals plus Zach Jeter on guitars and vocals.


So with this line-up comes an album which has been five years since their last one. And it's on a label which I once said years ago where good bands go to die. But NILE is not getting the mummy treatment on here. The Underworld Awaits Us All is their most brilliant piece of work ever. If you're waiting to be knocked over by the band's brutal tech death style then you're in the back seats. I mean sure there's that but this release is like brutal tech death opera. 


This is a sit down release or better yet let it blast throughout your house on speakers while you do stuff. The song structures are intense as well as wild. The guitar soloing is over the top. The vocals are a crazed variety of the standard brutal style but the other add ons are cool as fuck. So yeah this is the best thing they've done in a while.  


https://shop.napalmrecords.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://nile.bandcamp.com/album/the-underworld-awaits-us-all


No comments: