Saturday, September 28, 2024

HENRY KANE - Circle of Pain review


 

HENRY KANE - Circle of Pain

Selfmadegod Records


Jonny Pettersson is another extreme metal musician from Sweden who (in a long line) just wants to seperate from the whole band thing once in a while and go solo in order to create want he likes. I know him as being guitarist / multi-instrumentalist for WORMBATH and HEADS FOR THE DEAD. Both of those bands are amazing in my not so humble opinion. 


As far as this solo stuff under the name HENRY KANE goes I did like his second album Age of the Idiot from 2020. That one came out on another label and if you're into grind meets post 80's hardcore then you'll like it a lot. Unfortunately I never got any early stuff from em. As far as this one here goes well the WOW factor is in place. I mean as far as Swedish Death Metal goes, WORMBATH is Jonny Pettersson's signature home nation death metal act. But this album is better.


Circle of Pain just kicks off in your face. It explodes with a mix of diabolical riffs, ice cold solos and (shocker here) DARK FUNERAL keyboard style atmosphere back ups. Yeah I know holy shit I'm shocked. Welcome to 2024 and it 's 2006 sounding Black Fuckin Metal from a Swede. Blackmoon (aka: David Parland) must be rolling in his grave over this. 


Jonny Pettersson pulls off a great sounding Swedish Black Metal album in 2024. Frankly this was totally unexpected. The amazing powerful brutal vocals. Add to that the trudging riffs along with the icy tremolo picked riffs and cool soloing. Plus the keyboard background atmosphere which adds to the fury. Yes this is one of the best Black Metal albums of 2024. I know yeah I'm shocked!


https://selfmadegod.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://selfmadegod.bandcamp.com/album/circle-of-pain


No comments: