Wednesday, October 2, 2024

GOD DETHONED - The Judas Paradox review


 

GOD DETHONED - The Judas Paradox

Reigning Phoenix Music


GOD DETHONED is a band that I have to admit I got into late in their career. So much for me me being a lover of Dutch Death Metal but anyways. The band's first full length came out in 1992. I got into them with their 2006 full length The Toxic Touch. I liked that album a lot. I mean basically they were a melodic death metal act with some black metal touches. 


So in the years afterwards while I was buying their older stuff the band in 2009 releases what I say is the greatest War historical influenced release of all time. I'm talking about Passiondale. A year later they come out with Under the Sign of the Iron Cross which is yet another masterpiece. But after that one, mainman Henri Sattler (vocals / guitars) just decides to quit. So the band was in limbo until 2017 when Henri and a new line-up put out the third part of his WW1 trilogy The World Ablaze. That album sucked so let's move on. 


In 2020 GOD DETHRONED returns with Illuminati and it's Henri taking a different path with his song writing emphasis. Back then I thought it was cool but considering it was a wait and see thing. So now we have a follow-up to a continuing saga, The Judas Paradox. This release really takes you back to the days of before the war stuff. This is a sit down affair of melodic death metal with plenty of blackened touches. 


To me it's like Henri is doing a reboot of The Lair of the White Worm era of the band. Be that as it may Henri's got some cool players with him on this journey. First and foremost is guitarist Dave Meester who joined in 2019. This guy is a shredder to the utmost. When his solos enter into a song it's just fuckin over. Even in the more blackened stuff he seethes his way into breaking from the traditional norms to enter a melodic touch or a dive bomb solo. 


In the end GOD DETHONED's latest full length is .....decent. Yeah call me bias because I loved their War stuff. But yeah this is a cool release. 


https://reigningphoenixmusic.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsUePUuHz0&list=OLAK5uy_lhWus0b67WtExQ4tQwW1lHax2RfI-vGNM


No comments: