Monday, August 7, 2017

EARTHLING - Spinning In The Void review



EARTHLING - Spinning In The Void

Forcefield Records






EARTHLING played here a month ago but as usual I missed it because I had to be at work. Hey I've got an important position. But anyways I was kinda pissed because I got their first full length, Dark Path, from a few years ago. Now when I first listened to this their sophomore effort I was actually spinning in a void of what to really think about it. I spent all afternoon on Thursday listening to it on repeat before I went out to play darts. Next I took some time away then played it again and yeah now I have a clearer perspective because at first I was not into it.


What made this Virginia act interesting to start with is that I thought of them as a blackened thrash influenced version of ANNIHILATION TIME with plenty of time signature twists plus plunges into psych and sludge. Four years has passed between releases but the band still has that pedigree I gave em before. Also I think touring with their friends INTER ARMA had a huge influence on this second full length. They didn't go all out Ummagumma but there's more psych influences on here.


There's six cuts on here and I'm not going to go into each one. Basically there's plenty of lo-fi style thrash riffage and backing rhythm section banging around accented with a lot of cool guitar solos. Vocals still have that charcoal throated style going for em. Ya know filthy and black like the inside of a smoke stack. Also this four piece still writes songs with enough tempo changes and dive bombing guitar solo attacks to keep your attention. Yeah this is another great record by EARTHLING. Of course it took a dozen listens to come to that opinion and I'm glad I did.

http://www.forcefieldrecords.org/site/

https://earthlingva.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/earthling.virginia/

No comments: