Tuesday, March 31, 2020

DEATH COURIER - Necrotic Verses review



DEATH COURIER - Necrotic Verses 

Transcending Obscurity Records




So whenever I read a promo which describes a band as legendary I think to myself, "according to who?" or "I'm just fucking ignorant." The bottom line here is that at least I'm honest. I've never heard of DEATH COURIER before. They're an old Greek death metal act who originally came out in the late 80's. In 1992 they released their debut full length, Demise. A year later the band broke up. and what was huge in extreme metal in 92/93? Ah yeah so it's no wonder I must have missed this band.


Actually when it comes to the whole Greek extreme metal scene at around that time. I am a fan of the black metal acts and that's pretty much it. So in 2009 their bassist/vocalist got the band back together adding some new blood with a guitarist from another Greek DM act called VERMINGOD and a drummer who didn't last long. The result was the full length Perimortem. I never heard it.



Fast forward to the now and DEATH COURIER is still lead by their original bassist/vocalist (with a dream) plus the same guitarist who brought along the drummer Ilias Iliopoulos from his band VERMINGOD. Things always work better when you're familiar with one another. That's something I've always said during those satanic group sex rituals I use to attend back in the late 90's. But I digress. 


Modern day DEATH COURIER sound like modern day Euro old school death metal. I know that's screwed up as a definition. If anything they remind me of VADER which is cool as fuck. They've got that Euro death thrash touch going for them. The riffs are as solid as a brick shit-house. The drum work mostly follows the riff work as a companion. That definitely works for me.


I'll give props to the soloing because most of the time the guy lays down some disjointed solos that leave you going whatafuck. By the way thank you. The vocals are that beast in the woods sound (can I say VADER again?). Damm it all to Greece. So what we have here is a a three piece of veteran players showing us all how death metal, or death thrash if you prefer, should be performed. 


The end result is one of the most enjoyable and punishing albums you will hear in 2020. And seriously as far as what is going on of late you need this. This is the sound you're into during a world crisis. I doubt these guys knew ahead of time of a world pandemic. But hey I'm in lock down and enjoying the living brutality of this release. You should too.



https://tometal.com/

https://deathcouriergreece.bandcamp.com/album/necrotic-verses-death-metal

https://www.facebook.com/Death-Courier-423460954403378/


No comments: