Sunday, March 22, 2020

SICARIUS - God of Dead Roots review



SICARIUS - God of Dead Roots

M-Theory Audio




This is the second full length by California black metal act SICARIUS. Their debut, Serenade of Slitting Throats, came out in 2017 to from what I've read were rave reviews. Obviously the days when black metal acts matured from album to album are over. I've noticed it over the past decade. On here this five piece sound like they've been at it for a while. Well they started out in 2014 so I guess that's considered a while now.


As far as their brand of USBM goes, with the exception of maybe a minute's worth of ambiance on the opening track. They literally fly out at you with violent ferocity. To me it's like MARDUK and say blackened grind-sters ANAAL NATHRAKH getting into a back alley brawl. There's plenty of break-neck speed coupled with grinding rhythms and insane drum work.


But it's more than slash and burn your face off theatrics. There's actual times of melodies, quick atmospheric touches, a subtle nod to death metal plus the symphonic black metal style song structures minus the keyboards. Of course the vocals on here are the corpse paint icing on this blackened cake. We're talking insanely violent and tortured. It's as if the guy is on fire. Truly amazing vocals on here people which will sink their teeth into you.


I've gotta be honest here, for the past decade my appreciation for new black metal acts has waned a bit. Sure there's been some memorable releases but compared to years before it's totally different. With all of the post genre over-hyped horseshit experimentation, the paint by numbers copycat drivel and beggars of mainstream appeal acts it's no wonder on my part to why I've gotten bored.


Obviously I'm being nice since I know some people who believe black metal ceased to be exciting by 2000. Be that as it may I consider SICARIUS to be a definite breath of fresh corpse paint on an old face. I mean come on how can a knock a band that places a secret BATHORY cover track on the end of their release. Better yet it's an ironic choice of covers since here's a band that'll raise your blackened spirits.


https://www.m-theoryaudio.com/

https://sicariusblackmetal.bandcamp.com/releases

https://www.facebook.com/sicariusblackmetal?ref=hl



No comments: