Sunday, April 5, 2020

DOPELORD - Sign Of The Devil review



DOPELORD - Sign Of The Devil

Green Plague Records




Some years ago I was getting inundated with so many stoner rock releases sent in for review that I swore I'd shoot someone when I saw another. Then this band's third album, Children of the Haze, came in. Well on the bright side it was a damm good release and as far as the person I shot well he recovered while in jail. 


But anyways it was 2017 when this Polish band's third full length came my way. I liked it a lot for a couple of reasons. They stayed on the stoner rock template, were super heavy/fuzzy and performed it well without being pretentious or progressive. If I'm gonna listen to some music within this genre then I wanna hear some raw and dedicated shit. No phonies who just walked in the door. 


Now as far as this fourth album goes, I'll say the band has added some might to their sound. There's a sped up anthem in "Hail Satan". Honestly that speaks volumes for a band who before were slow enough to watch grass grow to. Now you wanna blast this outdoors with a bonfire going. Even better is that their slow groove tunes, like "Heathen", are far heavier than previous material. Plus the psych-out guitar leads are now like charged bolts running through your body.


Sign Of The Devil is six cuts with a running time of a few seconds over thirty six minutes. Yeah for a stoner doom act release that's fast. Frankly that's the way I like it. There's way too many bands in this genre who play the same riff over and over for a few minutes just to turn a six minute song into a nine minute dirge to fill up space. DOPELORD cuts to the heart of the matter and rules. I thought their last album was incredible, this one is as well.


https://dopelord.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Dopelord666




No comments: