Wednesday, April 1, 2020

WAR DOGS - Die By My Sword review



WAR DOGS - Die By My Sword

Fighter Records



At least once a year I'm lucky enough to hear a damm good band that brings back cool memories of old. I'm talking about the good o'l days of traditional metal circa late 70's/early 80's. I'm not talking about the hugely popular stuff either. It's more like a cool formula of the musicianship, songs and performance. So right now WAR DOGS rule in my not so humble opinion.


What we have here is the debut full length by this Spanish five piece act who started out in 2015. Prior to this the band released a six song EP in 2018. I  never heard that but am damm glad to hear this and you will to. Like I said they're a five piece act which means a twin guitar attack. Keep it true indeed. There's so many things about this band and their ten cut release I wanna talk about. 


Let's start with the vocals which are not over the top as far as range or heavy metal screams. They're pretty much gutsy melodic real guy type vocals. I wanna name drop a German act but can't. Either way they work perfect for this music since they blend in and do not over shine the music. 


Follow that up with the amazing riffs, some of which carry memories of the past. Look there's a cut on here that uses the "Bark at the Moon" riff. There's a few other Jake E. Lee bits (a couple of riffs and some obvious solos) which just shows ya they're fans. There's some other signature riffs from the past that will make you think MAIDEN as well. But otherwise the guitar work on here is damm good.


Something which is obvious to old school types like me when listening to new bands perform our music is how much bass is utilized. I mean it was a staple of old school metal to have the bass player prominent throughout the songs. So yes these guys have that nailed. As with the high velocity drum work which matches the riffs in speed and consistent fills. 


In the end, and seriously you never want it to, Die by My Sword is a masterpiece. It's an obvious homage to the old while still sounding fresh to someone who remembers the past. For me there's a fine line of distinction between bands that just copy the old ways and sound cool at it as opposed to those who you just know have the spirit. WAR DOGS is of the latter and their debut release is a must have for all of you keeping it true. Nuff Said.


http://www.fighter-records.com/

https://fighter-records.bandcamp.com/album/die-by-my-sword

https://www.facebook.com/WarDogsHeavyMetal/


No comments: