Sunday, April 26, 2020

ULCERATE - Stare into Death and Be Still review



ULCERATE - Stare into Death and Be Still

Debemur Morti Productions




For me ULCERATE are that one cool blackened death band who you can play late at night and it will put you in a decent melancholy mood. Yeah I know that sounds kinda fucked up but then again why are you here? Anyways I've been thinking that way about this three piece band from New Zealand ever since their 2011 release, The Destroyers of All. That was their third full length and ever since I've followed them. I still don't have their first two albums so fuck me running.


As far as Stare into Death and Be Still goes well I'm gonna piss some people off (like what else is new) because I think this is far better than 2016's Shrines of Paralysis. Sure that last one was the mile marker for what they had been doing for years. This one shows that the band is pushing forth a more mature sound. Once the opening cut set forth I knew that there was a new element being set forth.


Prior ULCERATE albums always included a strict guideline to tech savy blackened death with some atmospheric touches to carry you along. This one throws the book away and goes straight for more complex song structures. It's like hearing the sounds emanating from a grey cloud of doom. Welcome the storm people which whips violent waves and slows down once to subtle breezes before some real violence commences. Yes this album is the epitome of a hurricane.


https://www.debemur-morti.com/en/

https://ulcerate.bandcamp.com/album/stare-into-death-and-be-still

https://www.facebook.com/Ulcerate


No comments: