Wednesday, June 24, 2020

CARRION VAEL - God Killer review



CARRION VAEL - God Killer

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions




For those of you who know me well, and I feel your pain, the genre term of Tech Death is not a favorite of mine. If I were to turn around and look at the two book cases which are just for death metal CDs. (Yes I segregate by genre. What are you gonna do, protest? Fuck You!) Let's say there's five hundred CDs there OK. Out of that I'd bet you'd find maybe ten which are from bands who are Tech Death.


So why would I write about this because the genre tagline is straight by the book combo of tech death and thrash? Well it's that this five piece band, who hail from Indiana, include a few surprises in this their second full length which got me interested.


For starters CARRION VAEL do cover all of the familiar bases as far as this genre combination has done before. You've got a vocalist who handles the death metal growled parts and the harsh blackened thrash like screechy tones well. There's plenty of bass runs and and of course the drumwork is phenomenal. 





But what got my attention the most were the amazing fluid and hard rock influenced guitar solos which jump out at you on a few cuts. Sure the riff work is decent as far as the genre standard goes. But when the leads make their mark it's like something uncanny breaks through the death thrash abuse. And that's why I believe this band's tech death/thrash release is worth checking out even for non-believers like me.


http://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/god-killer

https://www.facebook.com/CarrionVael


No comments: