Tuesday, June 9, 2020

SEPULCHRAL CURSE - Only Ashes Remain review



SEPULCHRAL CURSE - Only Ashes Remain 

Transcending Obscurity Records





Ya know what, I knew this was coming sooner or later. At first I noticed it with some smaller label band releases which were cool as fuck. Then I saw it growing all across the board as well as the world. I tried to ignore it like I do with tech death. But I know sooner or later the second and first tier labels were going to be putting this out. Yes people it's the return of old school melodic death metal. 


Did you hear that loud crash? Yeah that was me falling out of my chair. Look people I'm not against some melody in my death metal. Plus I always wanna hear some guitar solos ripping through the death doom like lightning in a cloudy sky. My beef is when it all becomes generic and boring which with every revival happens.


As far as Finland's SEPULCHRAL CURSE and this their debut full length go. It's fuckin fantastic and that's even putting it mildly. It reminds ya of those times when your favorite heavy as fuck band from back in the day started to tweak their sound a bit. Sure the old ways are respected here as in death, doom and a touch of blackened seasoning. But add in the melodic guitar harmonies, the saturating lead work and captivating song structures. It's like you never want this release to end. 


There's two vocal styles going on here as well. You've got the one traditional deep throat-ed awakened from hibernation bear vocal and a more higher pitched caustic one. The PR info on this one pushes the idea of this being influenced by some classic Finnish death metal acts. No name drops from me but there are a few names who's influence is on here slightly. But from the opener to the closer on this release, SEPULCHRAL CURSE have created something worthwhile and re-imagined to make it exciting as fuck. You know a release is one of the best fuckin releases of 2020 when you never want it to end. Which is why you've got repeat.


https://tometal.com/

https://sepulchralcurse.bandcamp.com/album/only-ashes-remain-death-metal

https://www.facebook.com/SepulchralCurseDM


No comments: