Thursday, September 3, 2020

NECROWRETCH – The Ones From Hell review


 

NECROWRETCH – The Ones From Hell

Season of Mist


So years ago when I picked up one of this French black metal act's releases, their debut, I was like ah France's version of 1349? I remember that one was on a major metal label. I got it somewhere on the shelf but I'm not going to drag it out. A decent release for sure since at it's time NECROWRETCH were not following in the footsteps or their French BM peers. I ended by keeping up with em over the years.


Of course I'm more excited now by the fact that I'm listening to something from Season of Mist which is not boring the fuckin hell out of me. So with NECROWRETCH's fourth full length, and first since 2017, we are greeted to an out of character lite approach in an acoustic opening sequence of less than a minute. Then the triumphant vicious rampage runs you over.


The blackened beat-down, in a good way mind you, last for a couple of cuts. Midway through the band slows down into some blasphemous grooves. Bang your head and raise the horned fist salute time is my way of looking at it. From that point on things vary until the final eponymous cut which should be a future set closer (when live shows return that is).





Overall I ended up liking this new one over their past stuff, yeah even 2017's Satanic Slavery which is an unheralded gem of brutality. The band has expanded their cannon of sound selections. There's more death metal influence than before. Mainman guitarist/vocalist Vlad has a force going for em whether it's in his rasp or gravel singing style. It's not overwhelming but it's consistently good.



https://www.season-of-mist.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://necrowretch.bandcamp.com/


No comments: