Friday, February 12, 2021

COFFIN MULCH - Septic Funeral EP review


 

COFFIN MULCH - Septic Funeral EP

Redefining Darkness Records


Can we all give a hell fuckin yeah to this band's name? I mean COFFIN MULCH, come on that's cool. Strangely enough I'm writing about this band's debut EP on the night where the pub I work at had a wake for a regular who passed last week. Nice guy who've I've known for close to a decade. He was into classic rock but then again the guy was much older than me. Don't know who's getting his Harley but it ain't me. I don't think he'd like this band even though he'll be coffin mulch in a few years.


But anyways the first time I checked out this Scottish band's release I was like cool it's old school death metal. Then I wondered after all of these years, well decades now, why does this music still appeal to me. I mean seriously it's been done three times over. Sure there was a revival back in 2008 which I thought was cool especially since the mainstream metal media elites at first mocked it. But the fact is the sound lives forever no matter who is doing it.


To be honest COFFIN MULCH are not bringing anything new to the genre table and frankly that's a good thing. Musically their sound is part Swedish / part US as far as a death and doom delivery. The vocals are of that 'I drink from a cauldron of fire' variety. The riffs are heavy as fuck Boss HM-2 style thunder with an undercurrent of filth plus anger. The rhythm section lays waste when things speed up a bit. While keeping a powerful back drop when slow and heavy beats are required. 


Something else which this band includes, while some other new OSDM bands quit doing, are those surgeon scalpel solos. For me that's a must have. Even better is that this is a six song EP which is just two or three cuts short of a full length. So this release is COFFIN MULCH kicking your ass and demanding you throw up the horned fist for twenty plus minutes. The old ones have pasted on so celebrate their memory with music that reminds you of em. Cheers! 


http://www.redefiningdarkness.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://coffinmulch-uk.bandcamp.com/album/septic-funeral


No comments: