Tuesday, February 16, 2021

PLASMODIUM - Towers of Silence review


 

PLASMODIUM - Towers of Silence 

Transcending Obscurity Records 


Here we have the second album by Australia's PLASMODIUM. I never heard their first one so while seeing the tagline on this to be 'Cosmic Black/Death Metal', I was intrigued to say the least. After spending the weekend listening to this on and off I was reminded of a very bad drug experience from my youth. Then again I could also equate it to a recent trip to a big box store on a Sunday afternoon.


Obviously this band has their practice space near the same cavernous spot fellow Aussies PORTAL uses. Now I don't know about the 'cosmic' part. I'm wondering if they're influenced in any way by aboriginal ideas. As far as blackened "I'm on fucking drugs" sounds go these guys pass that test. I mean the song "Translucinophobia" is a bad speeding acid trip to say the least. 


On this release PLASMODIUM like to stretch their sound around from atmospheric and psych influenced doom passages to full on speedy black metal. "Pseudocidal" is a perfect example in psychotic fear. I'd say all six tracks on here would fit perfectly on a soundtrack to a Lovecraftian animated horror movie. All of this is very unsettling to say the least. Do not play this while on medication or plan any naps for a few hours afterwards. You've been warned.

 

https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://plasmodiumdeath.bandcamp.com/album/towers-of-silence-cosmic-black-death-metal


No comments: