Sunday, February 21, 2021

THE RUINS OF BEVERAST - The Thule Grimoires review


 

THE RUINS OF BEVERAST - The Thule Grimoires

Van Records


I first got into this German one man band with the second album, Rain Upon The Impure, from 2006. Although I'm pretty sure it was a year later when I got it. I had known Alexander von Meilenwald played drums with another cool German BM act NAGELFAR. I have one of their releases as well. Just to make clear I still believe that Rain Upon The Impure is an amazing masterpiece in modern era black metal. I was just listening to it a few weeks ago and it still holds you in a menacing grip. If I were to compare it to a horror movie it would be an edge of your seat thriller.


Of course after that I kept picking up the full lengths. Never did pick up any of the short form releases (the splits) even though they're in abundance. Still haven't picked up the debut full length either. Yeah I know, fuck me. Now although I liked what followed, 2009's Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite is definitely a winner as far as atmospheric black metal goes. It was on Blood Vaults from 2013 and the last one 2017's Exuvia where my appreciation of the music started to wane a bit.


Don't get me wrong I do believe the last two THE RUINS OF BEVERAST releases have their merits but not enough to completely intrigue me as the listener. So now with The Thule Grimoires I still think there's too much space filled with boring atmosphere. But and this is important, the man's vision for a close to perfection blackened gothic doom release is here. 


First off writing about hour plus more releases are always a pain. With that said the more Alexander moves toward full on gothic doom the more I turn away. Just like on Exuvia, this one has elements which bring to mind KATATONIA and not the good stuff. There is just so much filler going on in the goth department that the blackened bits feel like saving graces. Opener "Ropes into Eden" is a good track which mixes the blackened and doom genres well. 


From that point onward you get some grandiose goth doom followed by 1980's Berlin underground discotheque influenced post punk. Add to that speak/sing clean vocals. Yeah I hate TYPE O NEGATIVE by the way. Personally I like the harsh vocals Alexander does but that's few and far between on here. I thought "Anchoress in Furs" was a highlight since it brings about the melodic elements in line with the harsh just like the opening track. "Polar Hiss Hysteria" is something which will keep you awake. But that was about it.


I spent two good weeks of my life listening to this one off and on. Yes this is an amazing album if you're into gothic doom with some blackened touches. Just for the record I have favorites from the past but not much to speak of in modern times. I knew THE RUINS OF BEVERAST were hanging off the atmospheric black metal template by their fingernails years ago. The Thule Grimoires is where Alexander fell off. I won't be coming back to this release but hey you might love it.


https://van-records.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://theruinsofbeverast.bandcamp.com/album/the-thule-grimoires


No comments: