Wednesday, May 12, 2021

OLDE - Pilgrimage review



OLDE - Pilgrimage

Sludgelord Records


Personally after all these years listening to extreme music I must admit. I'm sludged out and stonered to death as far as those two doom sub-genres go. So these days whenever I check out a release by a band playing that style of doom. They've gotta kick some royal ass. And that's coming from a guy who bought his first SABBATH album back in 1974 at the age of ten. So yeah I'm a sucker for bands who got the riffs as long as if they've got a hell lot more. 


Which brings us to this band OLDE and their second full length Pilgrimage. OLDE is a five piece act from Canada. I never heard their debut so this is all fresh to me. So when I was listening to their opening and title track it was like being drawn into something fuckin amazing. You've got the angst ridden barked vocals, bombastic riffs and a huge reliance on atmosphere in their song structures. 


This release is eight cuts worth of all that and plenty of non descriptive genre outliers, fiery guitar noodling and an attitude which defies the would be sludgey elephant in the room analogy if you know what/who I mean. What I love about this band's music is how their songs never get repetitive. A new door is always being opened for the listener to enter and scream "Hell Fuckin Yeah"! OLDE make contemporary sludge metal exciting again.   


LISTEN AND ORDER HERE:

https://sludgelordrecords.bandcamp.com/album/pilgrimage

 

No comments: