Thursday, May 13, 2021

SAXON - Inspirations review


 

SAXON - Inspirations

Silver Lining Music


OK I'm a SAXON fan, love their early stuff from when I was young. I think their last bunch of albums from the mid 90's to the present are fuckin great. And of course the band has been known to drop a cover tune on an album once in a while. I never had a problem with that. I actually liked some of their covers except when they did "Ride like the Wind" by Christopher Cross on Destiny. 


So at this point in their career SAXON can probably do whatever they want. With that all said Inspirations is a full blown all covers album. I have no problem with all covers albums especially if the band makes the song their own. Sadly that ain't happening here. The first song I heard dropped from this album as a single was their version of DEEP PURPLE's "Speed King". OK that wasn't bad but then I got the whole album's worth and I can't say much for the rest of it.





Honestly there's a few more decent covers on here also some cringe worthy ones. As far as decent goes they do a good job with CROW's "Evil Woman" which SABBATH did as well in 1970. "Stone Free" by Hendrix ain't bad. Their versions of MOTORHEAD's "Bomber" and THIN LIZZY's "Rocker" are winners. I'll even say AC/DC's "Problem Child" isn't that bad. 





So out of eleven choices there's six decent cuts. I'll only mention the worst song on here is their version of TOTO's "Hold the Line". I'm saying that because I hate that song and that band. So I could not hear anything from SAXON to redeem it. I'll also say that they really shit the bed with this release. I say that as a fan. 


Now I know Biff Byford has got his HEAVY WATER side project coming out with an album. Sure that's important but something like this covers compilation could've been used as an extra in a proper new studio album package. Plus they could've included their other covers as well. Sure the story about this album is that it's about songs by bands who inspired em to write and perform. Oh Well.




http://sl-music.net/en/


No comments: