Monday, September 13, 2021

KNIFE - Self Titled review


 

KNIFE - Self Titled

Dying Victims Productions


What ever goes to hell stays in hell. Well that's what the preacher soundbite, which opens the second song on this release, says. What we have here dear believers is the debut album by Germany's KNIFE. This four piece act started out in 2019. 


Now when I was looking at the line-up and their history. I saw that their drummer is/was in one of the greatest death/grind bands of all time. I'm talking about MILKING THE GOATMACHINE. Now you can either call me nuts or a fan but in all seriousness I think MILKING THE GOATMACHINE rule.


Which is a great segway to KNIFE. This band genre tagline is speed metal and I couldn't agree more. Starting off with the shrieking aggro vocals you know this is gonna be a metal / punk thing. Add to that there's plenty of a punk rock n roll base to certain solos. But the riffs are all about speed and hardcore riff mania. The drum work is also of that punchy staccato style.


In the end I have to say that listening to this release makes me wanna slam dance around the house. Toss something through a window in anger. And of course go nextdoor to my neighbor to punch em out for that pile of debris I have to look at in their side yard. But I'm admittedly old now so this music just invokes an evil smile to me. 


KNIFE are a great band that nails that point of speed metal nostalgia without sounding like copycats. Sure they expose some influences of the past but in a cool way. I swear this is one of the best releases I've heard this year. Twelve fuckin songs and I've gotta say the MOTORHEAD tinged "Demon Wind" is my favorite.


https://www.dying-victims.de/

LISTEN HERE:

https://dyingvictimsproductions.bandcamp.com/album/knife-knife


No comments: