Monday, September 6, 2021

COVERED IN SORES - Civilian Casualties Compilation review


 

COVERED IN SORES - Civilian Casualties Compilation

Horror Pain Gore Death Productions


COVERED IN SORES is a four piece death grind act from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. So did I ever mention the time I was in Philly long ago and watched two guys beat the living shit out of each other outside of a club over who made the best cheese steaks in South Philly? This was around Dec. 1989 but could've been Jan. 1990. I'm old and I forget sometimes. Strangely enough one of the guy's fighting was the drummer of a band I was there to see. 


Which is why since then I called Philadelphia "Filthadelphia", later changed years later by the great RANCID VAT to "Hostile City, USA". And that's also why I can see a band like COVERED IN SORES coming from there. By the way are there any clubs or bars which allow a band like this to play? I mean this sounds like the musical equivalent to a riot. No not a mostly peaceful protest like some cable news reporter would've said about the crap going on last summer. This is a fuckin riot.


A riot in a good way that is. COVERED IN SORES started out a few years back. They put out three demos and have an EP this year. This release here features the band's demo material which is pretty damm cool. Sure the death / grind tagline is there on much of their songs. But they do have a foot firmly placed in the days when the whole grind genre came out of the late 80's hardcore scene. 


I don't know if these guys are well read street hooligans or post grads from Temple University. Either way these demo cuts are well produced and could be a great album for 2021. I find this fuckin amazing. No I'm in my late fifties and I still find music like this EXCITING. This is the kind of band I'm still go see in a club.


Although I learned my lesson decades ago. You don't stand in front of the stage when a crazed grind band is performing. Because they'll hit ya with something be it a microphone, the mic stand, drum sticks a flying, a guitar to the face or the singer will kick ya. Yeah good times!


https://www.horrorpaingoredeath.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://hpgd.bandcamp.com/album/civilian-casualties


No comments: