Monday, January 24, 2022

NECROPHAGOUS - In Chaos Ascend review


 

NECROPHAGOUS - In Chaos Ascend

Transcending Obscurity Records


It's weird what a bout with Covids will do to ya. Not only were my taste buds a little lacking but my love of music took a dive. Who wants to listen to something new, exciting and able to peel paint off your walls while you're sick in bed. Well obviously not me so I will say that this was the last album I was blasting before I got sick. Now I didn't make any notes at that time but I do remember one thing about the band and that was ENTRAILS.


For those of you who don't know, and you probably don't, ENTRAILS were a cool Swedish band from over a decade ago who where part of the old school death metal revival. Their first two albums to me are fucking great as well as mandatory ownership if you're into extreme great stuff. After that well I kinda drifted off from them. 


Now I say ENTRAILS because the three members of NECROPHAGOUS (aka: guitarist/vocalist Tommy Carlsson, bassist Joakim Svensson and drummer Martin Michaelsson) are ex-members of ENTRAILS. But on this their debut album the guys have ditched their worship of the old school Swedish DM big three and have gone for a more brutal USDM approach. 


In Chaos Ascend comes at you like the hydra beast depicted on it's cover. After a surreal spoken word opener, "The Binding", the trio kicks into gear and doesn't let up much at all over the ten proper cuts. Tommy Carlsson's vocals come off as a angry bark or a bear roar. Music wise it's all about the riffs with some heavy handed bass lines seeping through. The drum work is typical pounding brutality that at least is steady. The only basic missing here are guitar solos. 


Well there might be one or two but for the most part it's all about fast riffs and throbbing bass lines. It's the kinda stuff which produces headbanging in the crowd. Yeah wait till ya hit your fifties and tell me how your neck feels then. But for now I'd say this debut album by NECROPHAGOUS is pretty damm good. 


Sure it's still old school death metal but somehow under all of the ugliness and filth there's a spark of freshness which an old fuck like myself looks for to garner enjoyment. But hey these guys are death metal vets in their own right nowadays. So there you go, great record.


https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://necrophagousband.bandcamp.com/album/in-chaos-ascend-death-metal


No comments: