Friday, January 28, 2022

TUGT - Ved Lysets Ophor review


 

TUGT - Ved Lysets Ophor

Onism Productions


Normally I don't talk about cover art but every once in a while I'll make an exception. Take a good look at the cover of this release. Now the album title translates into English (?) as "At the end of light". Frankly after listening to this release I'd say this artist should never ever see the light of day. My simple observation is stay in that cave and keep creating music. The light at the end of that tunnel will burn ya. 


But anyways here we have a solo project by a multi-talented artist from the Danish black metal scene named Skoggangr. Now pardon my ignorance towards the Danish black metal scene. But even though I say my knowledge of black metal is damm good. I honestly can't say I've heard of any of the bands that Skoggangr is a member of. I'm talking about bands like ILDSKAER, I MYRKRI and GENFAERD. Hey look the most famous Dane I know who wears corpse paint actually lives in the American Southwest. But hey after listening to this album I wanna check out those earlier mentioned bands. 


The tagline on this is blackened doom. Ah no, black metal does push doom and gloom at times. This is atmospheric black metal which does not press against boundaries. Actually it's about as basic as it gets. But the whole point of this type of music is that does it invite you in? Is it like the original Dracula movie with Bela Lugosi coming down the stairs with a candelabra saying welcome. And then he bites ya in the throat to suck the blood from ya.


OK that's not exactly what happens in the movie but on this album Skoggangr invites you in, kills you, taughts over your corpse and then laments about it all in a blackened formula. Musically it's your basic sounding atmospheric black metal jaunt. But after multiple listens you get into the psyche of the artist, Skoggangr. I mean this is a total personal mood driven release. 


Like certain black metal artists of the past, Skoggangr is a composer. He has created a blackened emotional journey and if you understand then you're welcome aboard on a trip you might not like but you know so well. There's a rain of tremolo slowly picked riffs. There's some fast ones too but anyways the somber drumming, my throat is on fire vocals, yeah and the slime throat parts of agony are so perfect. And all in all it's a fine release.



https://onism.productions/

LISTEN HERE:

https://tugt.bandcamp.com/





No comments: