Friday, February 18, 2022

PREHISTORIA - Cursed Lands EP review


 

PREHISTORIA - Cursed Lands EP

Self Released


I must admit that I'm not an aficionado when it comes to power metal. Basically of what's out there I like 35% of it and those are the more well known bands. So when it comes to me appreciating something new it's gotta fall in with my criteria to what I believe is cool about the genre. 


First off the band has to employ galloping melodies. Yeah we're talking MAIDEN-esque riffs that drive the songs. Secondly the vocalist has to be amazing as in having a range that varies from medium cleans to heavy metal screams. And third the band must be more metal and little to no prog. 


Which brings us to this Indianapolis, Indiana band's debut EP. PREHISTORIA's four song release is what I'd call a tour de force as far as new power metal goes. This band hits all the bases for me to like em and they do more. Yeah there's only four cuts on here but they're all perfect. 


Yes they're a US power metal band but after a listen you hear influences that could only come from across the Atlantic. Musically this comes off as BLIND GUARDIAN meets KING DIAMOND. Basically their vocalist, Alonso Donoso, is versatile enough to come off with those King Diamond highs as well as classic power metal clean singing.

 


Add to that there's some amazing guitar soloing that's intricate as well as forceful. The rhythms are damm good and keeping with the no boredom, just fuckin rock approach which I appreciate. Like I said all four cuts are great. But personally I think "Purgatorio" and the title cut are my favorites on here. Hopefully this is just a small taste of something big to come in the near future.




LISTEN TO & BUY HERE:

https://prehistoriaband.bandcamp.com/


No comments: