Thursday, February 10, 2022

VORGA - Striving Toward Oblivion review


 

VORGA - Striving Toward Oblivion

Transcending Obscurity Records


Friday nights at work is the only time I get to hear some metal on the radio when I'm there. The local collage station plays a good selection of metal be it classic stuff to present day material from 6 to the wee AM hours. As far as black metal goes the DJs will play some stuff that I know well but then there's a bunch of new stuff that I don't know. So after work I'll check out the playlist on the station's website to see who I had heard. 


Now one thing I've noticed is that the modern BM stuff they play sounds familiar but it's not who I think it is. The only thing similar is the overall soundscape. Which brings us to this debut album by Germany's VORGA. When I first listened to this album it felt like I had heard this before on the radio at work. Basically what this band does is put forth a sonic blackened soundscape which is more on the lofty atmospheric side with harsh vocals.


Like I said this band is from Germany which to me was a shocker. I guess I'm old because I consider German black metal to have more of a punch you in the face style of sound. Listening to this makes me feel like I need to be in an easy chair with headphones on. Part of that is to be true since VORGA are all into the whole cosmic plane of space. Ground control to Major Tom we're filling you up with copious amounts of frosty BM fuel.

 


All in all Striving Toward Oblivion is a cool album. There's some Norwegian and Swedish BM touches throughout. I don't know if it's showing influences or just taking something we all know and propelling it to another plain. The end result being a sonic experience of blackened proportions.



https://tometal.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://vorgaband.bandcamp.com/





No comments: