Monday, August 22, 2022

IMMOLATION – Acts Of God review


 

IMMOLATION – Acts Of God 

Nuclear Blast


OK so just for the record I'm an IMMOLATION fan from their early days. Now moving on from that I have to say 2010's Majesty and Decay is my favorite by em. And of course 2017's Atonement definitely carries some greatness. Now that's not taking anything away from my appreciation of their early albums like the debut Dawn of Possession from 1991 or 2002's Unholy Cult. 


But let me be clear. Out of their whole full length catalog I think half are fuckin amazing and the other half are good. Which brings us to this new one Acts Of God. Yeah this came out back in February but I finally got my copy in June. So while I've been listening to this for like two months now. It's only been recently that I've actually been ready to write something about it. Hell it's been six years.


First off this is the band's longest album coming in at slightly over fifty minutes. There's a few instrumental tracks which to me is filler. But basically it has everything you want in a standard IMMOLATION album. Ross Dolan's brutal vocals are still fuckin amazing to hear. Robert Vigna's innovative riffs as well as off the wall solos are here. Steve Shalaty has become the premiere death metal drummer of the modern era. And Alex Bouks is in the band.


With that all said Acts Of God comes off like ten years of past ideas all put together into one new album. If you're a fan you can hear the repetition. There's very few cuts on here that actually stand out. Which to me is kinda bogus because over the past decade this band has been so good at defining amazing brutal as well as tech savvy DM. 


I give the musicianship a top notch but as far as excitement level this gets kicked down to the "good" level in their catalog. 


https://www.nuclearblast.com/eu/

LISTEN HERE:

https://immolation.bandcamp.com/


No comments: