Monday, February 13, 2023

OBITUARY – Dying of Everything review


 

OBITUARY  – Dying of Everything 

Relapse Records


OBITUARY are the comeback kings of US death metal. Of course that depends whether or not DEICIDE gets their shit together. But seriously the band started out incredible and released some absolute classics in my not so humble opinion early on. I'm speaking of 1989's Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death from 1990. Now after that the albums which followed were decent. Now I'm not saying they were shit. I mean bias report, I'm a huge OBITUARY fan but I don't listen to those albums much anymore.


But hey in 2007 the band released Xecutioner's Return and it was damm good. OBITUARY were the kings of US death metal again. But after that they got average again. Don't get me wrong, like I said I'm a fan. Maybe I should just say I'm patient. Now I know some people, well actually many people, thought 2017's self titled album was damm good. But I thought it was average to say the least.


So here we are some years later and a new OBITUARY blasting on the stereo. My overall impression is that we have another great comeback album. I mean this one opens with a very strong cut "Barely Alive" and then follows up a slam-pit worthy rocker "The Wrong Time". Yeah this is the OBITUARY that we love, yeah it rocks and we wanna hurt people to it. But then the old ways kick in and then the groove with trudging riffs plus slice and dice soloing follows.


I'd say some of it is cool for example "War" is pretty damm good. "Dying of Everything" is a semi death thrash type of cut. John Tardy sounds far more ferocious with his vocals in years. I'd also add that on this album Kenny Andrews comes into his own on lead guitar. "My Will to Live" again a Kenny Andrews' soloing moment worthy of greatness. He also does a bang up job on "By the Dawn". 


In the end yeah Dying of Everything is a damm good album. It's OBITUARY's eleventh album which every death metal fan out there should say "hell yeah". It's not perfect in that there's a few cuts that remind me of those OK releases from the past.   


https://store.relapse.com/

LISTEN HERE:

https://obituary.bandcamp.com/album/dying-of-everything


No comments: