Friday, September 29, 2023

UADA - Crepuscule Natura review


 

UADA - Crepuscule Natura

Eisenwald


OK so I'm outside of a local club having a smoke inbetween bands weeks ago and I got into a conversation with this other guy out there. We're talking about Metal, upcoming shows to the club and of course Black Metal comes up. So he asks me if I'm going to the UADA show. And I told him that I never heard them. But I knew that the singer is also in CEREMONIAL CASTINGS who are one of my favorite USBM bands.


So he explains to me who they are and where they come from as well as their sound. He never mentions CEREMONIAL CASTINGS. But this guy told me to check em out if I like melodic BM. (Hmmm, melodic BM?) Well UADA are playing next week downtown so I've got this new release and hey it's pretty good. UADA have been around since 2014 and have three prior full lengths out to their credit. But hey I can't check out everything. 


As far as Crepuscule Natura goes there's something here which captures two elements which to me are good and bad. The good part is that this album, which is five cuts with a run time of forty two minutes, has this warm Swedish BM tone. No name drops from me because there's an overall influence going on here. Something original / different is the vocal style of Jake Superchi which is not really new to me since, as I mentioned earlier, he's also in CEREMONIAL CASTINGS. He does show off his variety of singing whether it's shrieks, howls and growls.


But musically this is far from mere copying of the past. Instead it's a homage retro-fitted for modern audiences. The guitar work on here is pretty damm good with cold melodic riffs and intricate soloing. That was a trademark to the old Swedish sound in melodic BM or the blackened death metal stuff. The rhythm section literally kicks fuckin ass. The sound structures are amazing. 


At first I wasn't into this album but it grew on me to the point where sure I miss hearing CEREMONIAL CASTINGS but this release is just so fuckin cool. I mean it rocks (ah yeah!), plus it carries you onto planes of wonder as well as bludgeoning battlefields of imagination in the coldness of what you feel black metal does. I can't wait to see em live. 



https://www.eisenton.de/

LISTEN HERE:

https://uada.bandcamp.com/album/crepuscule-natura


No comments: