Friday, September 1, 2023

CROM – The Era Of Darkness review


 

CROM – The Era Of Darkness

From the Vaults


If you're expecting something influenced by the Conan saga (aka: comics and movies) you're not gonna get it here. CROM, who hail from Germany, are a epic heavy metal act. Then again you could call em power metal with that viking saga influence. When this came in for review I pushed play and listened to it five times in a row while I was doing other stuff. Ah yeah it's that good.


This is the first release I've heard from CROM. The band started out as a one man act a while back in 2000. The one man is Crom aka: Walter Grosse. The first full length, Vengeance, came out in 2008. This is the fourth full length and from what I've read CROM is an actual band now. Be that as it may when I heard the first cut of this album, "Into the Glory Land" I was hooked. 


On this album CROM comes across musically as TYR meets Nordland era BATHORY. I mean the vocals are clean, powerful and epic as fuck. The song structures are powerful and yet melodic. The guitar solos come in like lighting bolts. I mean everything about this album is damm good. Songs like "Heart of the Lion", "The Era of Darkness" and "Together We Ride" (aka: the front end of the album) are amazing. I mean you'll want to grab up your sword and shield because it's time for battle with your comrades on your side. 


The second half of the release is good but not as strong as the first end. I like the melodic epic ballad style of "In Your Eyes" as well as "Bridge to Paradise". "Riding into the Sun" is good but is a repeat of some songs on the first half. But hey all in all The Era Of Darkness is like the dark horse pick for greatness in 2023. If you're a searcher for great music or just lucky to have something dropped into your lap (like me) then you'll like this one a lot.


https://fromthevaults.dk/

LISTEN HERE:

https://www.deezer.com/en/artist/1005417

OR HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMHENn73Fbw


No comments: